Couples Skip Flowers and Candy and Put a Ring On It For V-Day

By: Leah Uko

OMAHA (KPTM) - Forget the flowers and candy. Some couples in Douglas County decided to celebrate their love on Valentine's Day by putting a ring on it.

Douglas County Clerk Thomas Cavanaugh said 20 to 30 couples were scheduled to marry at the courthouse Friday.

"It's the ultimate romantic day," Cavanaugh continued. "In addition to the flowers and candy, this is a total commitment for life."

Douglas County Court issued 16 marriage licenses this Valentine's Day.

This time last year it issued 26. In 2012 it issued 34.

Cavanaugh said there was no specific reason for the decrease.

Aaron and Linnetta Dawson were happy there were still couples out their finding love like them. The two said they started planning their wedding in January and chose Valentine's Day to solidify their love.

"Do it!" Aaron said excitedly. "You will remember the anniversary very easily."

Pottawattamie County issued nine marriage licenses Friday. Lancaster County issued two.

More is required to obtain a marriage license than saying "I do".

  • The fee for a marriage license is $15.00 cash or credit card (portal fee charged for credit card use). Personal checks are not accepted.
  • The application must be filled out completely and submitted to the Douglas County Clerk/Comptroller (1819 Farnam Street, Room H08, Omaha, Nebraska 68183).
  • Applicants may prepay for a certified copy for an additional $5.00. The certified copy is required for the bride to change her name on her driver's license and Social Security records.
  • Proof of identity/age: valid driver's license, passport or birth certificate. If a birth certificate is used it must be a certified copy. If proof is not furnished, the license cannot be issued. Please contact our office if you have questions concerning your identification papers.
  • Social Security numbers of both bride and groom are requested on the marriage license application.
  • Applicants must supply the names of their parents (including mother's maiden name), and their parents' birthplaces (city and state or foreign country).
  • If either applicant has been married previously, the date the previous marriage ended will be requested (court date or date of death). A copy of the divorce decree or death certificate is not required.
  • If either applicant is not of legal age (19),a notarized consent form must be signed by the applicant's father, mother, legal guardian or custodian, giving consent to the marriage of the minor. If the individual giving consent is a legal guardian or custodian, appropriate paperwork must be presented showing this relationship to the minor.

    If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a license cannot be issued in the State of Nebraska.

    The marriage license is good for one year from the date of issuance anywhere in Nebraska. Your marriage license must be obtained in the state in which you will be married. However, a license issued in one county in Nebraska can be used in any county in Nebraska.
  • There is no waiting period.
  • All marriage licenses obtained in Nebraska are public record.