Video Shows Beheading Of Second US Journalist By ISIS
(FOX News) - An Internet video purports to show beheading of US reporter Steven Sotloff by Islamic State group.The global terror intelligence firm SITE first reported the release of the video, entitled "A Second Message to America," in which Sotloff, a 31-year-old freelance journalist, speaks to the camera before a cloaked Islamic State fighter decapitates him."I'm sure you know exactly who I am by now and why I am appearing," Sotloff said. "Obama, your foreign policy of intervention in Iraq was supposed to be for preservation of American lives and interests, so why is it that I am paying the price of your interference with my life?"The video then cuts to the masked militant warning that as long as U.S. missiles "continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people." He also threatens the life of British captive David Cawthorne Haines.The grim video comes just days after Sotloff's mother, Shirley, directly addressed the leader of the Islamic State last week, saying her son shouldn't pay for U.S. government actions in the Middle East and that he cared about the weak and oppressed as a journalist."I want what every mother wants, to live to see her children's children." she said last week. "I plead with you to grant me this."Shirley Sotloff cited by name the leader of the Islamic State, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who has described himself as a caliph intending to lead the Muslim world. She had asked him to show mercy and follow the example of the prophet Muhammad in protecting people of Muslim, Jewish and Christian faiths.Sotloff was last seen in August 2013 in Syria. He was recently threatened with death by the militants on a video unless the U.S. stopped air strikes on the group in Iraq. The same video showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley, 45.Several U.S. officials, including U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., have said they were working behind the scenes to find out more about Sotloff and try to secure his release.White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest could not confirm the reports when asked about the video at Tuesday's press briefing. He noted the administration has been monitoring his situation carefully since threats were first made."The United States, as you know, has dedicated significant time and resources to try and rescue Mr. Sotloff," he said, adding "thoughts and prayers" are with the family.