Four-year old boy has a scar on his chest after fireworks accident
OMAHA,NE(FOX42KPTM)-A young Omaha boy will now have a scar after he was hit in the chest by fireworks, and now his mother is hoping you'll listen to her message.
She wants you to be safer when you have fireworks around children.
Omaha hospitals now say some 49 people were also hurt by fireworks over the last week.
Fireworks are something most people enjoy watching every Fourth of July, but if you're not careful, you could get hurt, like one local 4-year-old boy.
"It was absolutely terrifying,” said his mother Christian Yochum. “It was, ‘Where's all the little kids?’ ‘Are they OK?’ ‘Let's move away from here.’"
He was hit in the chest by a neighbor's fireworks.
"Before anyone could say anything about it, he had already dropped it in the can,” Yochum said. "It took off and it bounced out of the tube and it exploded."
It burned a hole in his shirt.
Yochum said, "It was like a stung reaction. He had no clue about what was going on. He almost didn’t realize he had been hit. I was pretty upset when I found out my son was hurt."
He was not the only injured.
• Nebraska Medicine reports at least 24 people were treated for fireworks-related injuries
• Methodist hospitals, had 14 cases
• Creighton hospitals tells us 11 patients were treated
That's a total of 49 injuries within the past week, and that's just in Omaha.
Yochum now wishes she can go back in time to try to prevent what happened.
"I would have not let him drop that artillery shell in that tube,” Yochum said. "Seeing what I saw with that fuse I should have got up and said something."
Those injuries include cuts, burns and fractures.