MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Hoverboard explodes in woman's home in Omaha

Hoverboard explodes in woman's home in Omaha

OMAHA,NE(FOX42KPTM)-One Omaha woman is now sending a message to anyone who plans to buy a hoverboard. It caused a big fire in her home on New Year's Day.

"I heard something that sounded like someone was just bending metal, like a crushing noise," Diane Hughes said.

She thought it was the Christmas tree, but it was actually the hoverboard.

"It's so much smoke, way more smoke than fire and I think that's where the damage is for us," she said. "It was just so thick and so white, just putrid."

Hughes bought it on Christmas eve for her daughter. It was a Swagtron T-6 Off-Road Hoverboard. She researched the device in advance, so she wasn't expecting this kind of outcome.

"We thought doing your homework would protect us, but it obviously didn't and it can happen to anyone, no matter how much homework you did," Hughes said.

Records show there were at least 10 hoverboard recalls in 2016 and 10 in 2017. These were all due to explosion and fire hazards.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates 13 burn injuries, three smoke inhalation injuries and more than $4 million in property damage related to hoverboards.

"It's a bummer, but I would have to say it's not a safe one."

She says it's important to have fire extinguishers in your home. It came in handy before the firefighters arrived.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there's a number of safety tips to keep in mind.

-Only charge hoverboard when you are there to watch it

-Do not charger unattended, especially overnight.

-Keep away from flammable items while charging or even storing it.

-Have working smoke alarms and fire extinguishers on every level of your home

Trending