MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Humane society cautions pet owners after 2 dogs eat rat poison

-

When it comes to the cold and your pets, there are many things to watch. Make sure they have enough water, and their feet are protected.

The Nebraska Humane Society says you need to be careful of poison too.

Cold weather drives rats and mice into people's homes, which can lead to people putting out poison -- to kill rodents.

That poison could kill your pets because it tastes like food.

Officials at the NHS say they've treated two dogs this week that ate rat poison, both survived because their owners acted quickly and knew what kind of poison they ate.

"Sometimes, the animal will cough up blood or blood in their stool sometimes they can have difficulty breathing and just acting depressed in general all those are signs you want to get to your veterinarian right away," Dr. Amber Horn said.

They say some of those signs can take days to show up after a pet eats it.

Officials suggest homeowners with pets use live mouse traps, electronic repellents, or other non-chemical means of getting rid of pests.

Clinical signs your pet might have ingested rat poison: Lethargy, difficulty breathing, pale gums, bad breath, drooling, coughing and vomiting, a bloody nose, bleeding gums, swelling or bumps on the skin, tremors, seizures, kidney failure, and other problems.

If you think your pet has ingested rat poison, speed is important for recovery. Get your pet to your veterinarian immediately.

Because different poisons have different active ingredients, if your pet does get into rodent poison, it’s important to identify the name and type so your veterinarian can offer the proper treatment.

The NHS says it’s equally important to get them to the vet fast as some poisons can take several days before clinical signs appear, and damage can already be occurring.

Trending