MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Investigators: Water heater installation lead to fire destroying Omaha apartment building

Omaha Fire crews battle a three alarm fire near 168th and Dodge Tuesday night

OMAHA, Neb (FOX 42KPTM)-- Omaha Fire investigators say conductive heat coming from a soldering gun while crews installed a new water heater sparked the fire that quickly spread through an apartment building in west Omaha Tuesday night.

Someone called firefighters when they saw heavy smoke coming from an apartment inside the Cambridge Villas near 168th and Dodge.

Three different sets of crews were sent out starting around 8:45 Tuesday night. Eventually Omaha Fire called in air support.

Investigators say the apartment's floor design lead to the fire spreading so quickly.

That design also caused the floors to collapse.

The apartment building was destroyed.

Four people were forced out of their homes because of the fire, but investigators say the property manager found them a hotel to stay in. The Red Cross also helped out.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending