Man accused of killing deputy changes plea to "guilty"

Man charged with killing deputy changes plea to "guilty".

POTTAWATTAMIE COUNTY -- Wesley Correa Carmenaty, 24, is now asking for a change of plea in the killing of Deputy Mark Burbridge.

Carmenaty was originally set to begin trial August 15th with a "not guilty" plea.

Here is the release from Pottawattamie County Attorney, Matt Wilbur:

The Pottawattamie County Attorney’s Office was notified this afternoon by counsel for the Defendant that this case should be removed from the trial docket and set for a hearing to change his plea from “not guilty” to “guilty”. Trial was scheduled to begin on August 15th in the Pottawattamie County Courthouse in Council Bluffs. As a result of this notification, the court has removed the case from the trial docket and set the matter for a change of plea hearing on August 15th at 9:30 a.m. in Courtroom 4D of the Pottawattamie County Courthouse. The Defendant will remain in custody in the Woodbury County Jail until the hearing. There has been no plea bargain offered in this case, no charges are being dismissed, and no charges are being amended. The Pottawattamie County Attorney’s Office will have no further comment on this matter until the conclusion of next week’s hearing.

MATTHEW D. WILBER, Pottawattamie County Attorney


COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (KPTM) – Police say a Pottawattamie County deputy died during a jail escape Monday morning.

Investigators say Wesley Correa-Carmenaty shot two deputies at the Pottawattamie County Jail while he escaped.

The deputies were identified as 43-year-old Mark Burbridge, a 12-year veteran of the Pottawattamie County Sheriff’s Department, and 59-year-old Pat Morgan, a 10-year veteran of the department.

Police say both deputies were taken to the hospital, where Burbridge died at around noon.

Morgan is in stable condition and suffered injuries to his lower torso area.

Police say Correa-Carmenaty carjacked a vehicle and led police on a chase which ended in a crash near 28th and Cuming streets in Omaha, Nebraska.

According to Omaha police, Correa-Carmenaty was taken into custody without further incident.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off