UPDATE: Man shot himself during standoff; posted to Facebook minutes before


UPDATE: Police have identified 19-year-old Tyler Krebs-Johnson as the man who shot himself during a police standoff.

Officials say the SWAT Team went to 34th and Grand Avenue at 7 a.m. Monday in response to a search warrant. SWAT officials went inside the home and heard two gunshots from the basement, police say.

Investigators say there were seven other people inside the home at the time.

SWAT officials were searching Krebs-Johnson's home for drugs and weapons; he also had a warrant for his arrest, police say.

Omaha Police Crisis Negotiators tried to get in contact with Krebs-Johnson through text messages, bull horn and phone calls. Investigators say they then found a post on Krebs-Johnsons's Facebook page at 7:08 a.m. that said, "Last post went out witta bang."

At 10:30 a.m. Omaha Police sent a video robot to the basement which found Krebs-Johnson lying on a bed in the basement, officials say.

Police say another woman was in the basement with Krebs-Johnson at the time and told police she feared he would shoot her.

Officials say 20-year-old Nicholas Paez was arrested during the standoff for having drugs on him with an intent to sell them. He was booked into Douglas County Jail.

“Our desire was for a peaceful resolution to today’s incident and avoid loss of life; unfortunately, that was not the case. The officers on scene worked in a coordinated and professional manner to protect the safety of those individuals evacuated from inside the house and the surrounding neighbors.” – Deputy Chief Libby Davis.

OMAHA, Ne (FOX42KPTM) - Omaha police say a person is dead from a self-inflicted injury after he barricaded himself in a home near 34th and Grand Streets for several hours.

It started around 7 A.M. Police say a SWAT team was serving a weapons-related warrant at the time. After reports of gunshots, authorities blocked off streets in the area and redirected traffic.

An Omaha police spokesperson said there were a number of people inside the home, possibly seven, when the warrant was served. They were able to safely get out.

No officers were hurt during the incident.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off