17 Omaha area businesses cited for selling alcohol to minors

(Photo: David Mertl / CC BY 2.0)

Seventeen businesses were cited for selling alcohol to a minor.

This comes as a result of compliance checks conducted at on- and off-sale alcohol retailers on Friday and Saturday.

Omaha metro area law enforcement officers conducted compliance checks on 290 retail outlets in Douglas and Sarpy counties.

A summary sheet of the compliance check operation results and a full list of businesses checked can be found by clicking here.

"With the school year winding down and summer break beginning, law enforcement knows how critical underage drinking enforcements are in preventing youth access to alcohol. One night of underage drinking can lead to unintended, tragic consequences for youth and the larger community," said Sgt. Chris Apley with the Nebraska State Patrol. "We're encouraged by the low non-compliant rate, but we know that this is possible only through regular enforcement of the law. This will be a continued focus for Omaha metro agencies throughout the summer."

Project Extra Mile says two repeat violators were cited for selling alcohol to minors:

  • Godfather's Pizza, 2929 N 204 Street, Omaha (5/08);
  • Mangia Italiana, 6516 Irvington Road, Omaha (6/15).

Only Mangia Italiana has a sale to minor that falls within the 4-year look back period used by the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission (LCC) to enhance penalties, Project Extra Mile says.

If found guilty by the LCC, Project Extra Mile says Mangia Italiana could be facing up to a two-day mandatory closure (no alcohol sales would be allowed) and an additional 30 days of suspension that could be paid off at $100 per day, according to the LCC's penalty guidelines.

Other businesses cited during the compliance checks would be facing their first sale to a minor violation, which would carry a 10- to 20-day suspension that could be paid off as a fine at $50 per day.

To assist in reporting underage drinking or adults providing alcohol to minors, call the statewide tip line at 1-866-Must-B-21 (687-8221). It's anonymous, and individuals are urged to call 911 to report an underage drinking party in progress.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off