Sydney Loofe murder suspect declared competent to stand trial
WILBER, Neb. — One of the two people accused of murdering a Lincoln woman last year has been declared competent to stand trial on the charges.
54-year-old Aubrey Trail pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and unlawful disposal of human remains in Saline County Court.
Trail's attorney, Ben Murray, said the request to check his competency was just due diligence. He said he wants to ensure that any questions about Trail's ability to understand court proceedings and assist in his defense don't arise during trial.
Trail and 24-year-old Bailey Boswell are accused of strangling 24-year-old Sydney Loofe in November 2017, dismembering the body and dumping the remains in rural Clay County.
Loofe's remains were found Dec. 4 in Clay County, weeks after Loofe was reported missing.
Judge Vicky Johnson set Trail's jury trial for June 17, 2019 to July 5, 2019.
His next court date - a status hearing - is set for 2:15 p.m. on Dec. 12.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for both Trail and Boswell.
The Nebraska Attorney General's Office said in a filing that Trail has a history of assaultive and terrorizing criminal activity, calling the killing of Loofe exceptionally depraved.
Boswell is currently fighting to declare Nebraska's death penalty statutes unconstitutional, which could take the punishment off the table if she is convicted.